New Parental Relocation Law Impacts Military Service Members Relocating with Their Children

The law pertaining to parental relocation has recently change. Formerly the parent wishing to relocate with a child simply notified the other parent in writing of their planned move by certified mail. It was up to the parent not relocating to file a Petition with the court objecting to the relocation.

Now the parent wishing to relocate must file a Petition Requesting approval to relocate and the other parent has 30 days to file an Objection to that petition or to agree to it. If an objection is filed the Court will do a Best Interest Analysis to decide if it is in the children’s best interest to relocate.

This new law has a major impact on military members who are PCSing to a new duty station as this can be a lengthy process that requires the help of an attorney.


Start the Path Towards Finding a Favorable Resolve for Your Case.

    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
    • Please make a selection.
    • Please enter a message.
Put Aldred Law Firm on Your Side